I have been dupe, I have been lied to, I have been neglected, I have been swindled, fooled, tricked deceived, and hoodwinked. I could go on and on and use every synonym that means hoodwinked. But that would take too long to type all the words out.
I have been asked over and over how did you go through the whole process for gastric bypass and not know that you were going to the right doctor? Who is responsible??? The answer is simple…I am at fault. I should have triple, no bump that I should have double, triple check. I should have called the insurance over and over to make sure that everything was on track.
I have had my first visit with the new doctor office and they have several things I will have to complete that I was not informed of when I first talk to the scheduler. The list includes:
- 5 pre-surgery support groups before you first meeting with the doctor.
- 10 pre-surgery support groups before your surgery date.
- Pre-surgery OPTIFAST 800 Diet program.
- This starts 4 weeks before my surgery and must be followed until the day before my surgery.
- I will also be required to lose 8% of my weight during that time. (No problem I can do that).
- I have to consume OPTIFAST 800 supplements five times a day. (These supplements will hit me for $400.00) They include soups, bars and powered shakes. You are limited to only one bar and one soup a day.
- I can only consume one meal a day which has to be low in fat, high in protein, non-starchy vegetables.
- I can have all the unlimited free foods I want…such as sugar-free jello and sugar-free Popsicle as longs as they less than 20 calories. Pickles (dill only) cucumbers, celery.
- Attend weekly medical monitoring and nutrition therapy training session as direction.
This is a lot for someone who had completed the process except for the 2 weeks diet for another doctor and his program. Even though I don’t have to have the EDG I still feel like I am starting all over. This process could have been done in February or March and I would have been on the losing side. But as I have said on more than one occasion this is a set down for set up.
Nevertheless here is my message to anyone that is in the process of trying to get approval and embark on this journey. Worry the heck out of your insurance…Ask about …..the Centers of Excellence, do your employer or your spouse employer have requirements that you need to complete, such as use certain doctor or hospital, is there a percentage of weight you have to lose right before the surgery. These are only a few questions that need to be asked. Research, probe and investigate, explore, study your insurance policy.
Love, peace and happiness.